testing and protocols for TTC#2

Rathgrith

testing and protocols for TTC#2

Post by Rathgrith »

I am currently TTC#2. Our first child is a product of Injectibles and IUI. I did all the bloodwork and labs and tests for #1, but my RE insists that I don't need to do any bloodwork at all this time. We are using the same protocol as before, but I have had three early losses in a row.

I am very concerned about how my doctor is handling this. Surely my FSH levels can have changed in four years? And other hormone levels? He insists that egg quality is purely based on my age, and there is nothing that can be done to improve it, and when I brought up the research I've seen regarding herbs, acupuncture, human growth hormone, DHEA, etc as possible treatments, he became very defensive and said it was all wrong and I need to stay off the Internet.

My other question to him that I didn't really get an answer to was, if I'm not ovulating on my own (PCOS), and need an LH shot to trigger, that tells me I'm not producing enough LH throughout my cycle. It is my understanding that LH is necessary for developing healthy and good quality eggs. I asked if we could try supplementing my cycle with LH during stim, and he said it was not something that had any validity to it.

He seems to think we just need to keep trying and hope to hit a good egg, accepting loss as part of the process. But three in a row seems like a problem to me, and worth some testing to rule out possible causes.

In your experience, what is your opinion? How would you handle this? I know I'm not your patient, so you can't speak definitively to my case, but does it sound like I'm getting the only answers there are and I should trust my doc, or maybe its time to move on and find a new one?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: testing and protocols for TTC#2

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

If you are not satisfied with the answers you are getting it might be a good idea to get a second opinion on the issues you are concerned about.

I really can't say what you need or what's right for you with limited information. I think most REs would be repeating FSH levels after 4 years and there are many differing opinions on herbs, acupuncture, etc.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California