Max number of Clomid cycles?

SoBayAsker
User

Max number of Clomid cycles?

Post by SoBayAsker »

Am aware that taking Clomid for over one year is a risk factor for low malignant potential ovarian tumors, but I haven't found a number for relative risk.

I asked my doctor if there was a max number of cycles for which Clomid is recommended and I was told that it depends on the reason for not getting pregnant and whether or not I've been pregnant before. We did not go into my history. I'm currently on my fifth Clomid cycle. Did timed intercourse w/ first three cycles and fourth with IUI. Got pregnant on IUI cycle. US eventually showed no heartbeat, had D&C in March.

I've been pregnant twice in the past year, but neither pregnancy made it past 7 weeks (both no heartbeat). We got pregnant on our own the first time and the second was with my first IUI. Genetic testing was done with second miscarriage and showed tetrasomy of chromosomes 8 and 18.

Given this history, if I don't have a viable pregnancy with this cycle's IUI, how many more Clomid/trigger/IUI cycles would you recommend?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Max number of Clomid cycles?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I can't make specific recommendations here.

But the general rule is that we try a treatment for three cycles and if it does not result in success it becomes much less likely to be successful. Now if you did timed intercourse and then IUI that would be a total of six.

But you need to deal with the recurrent miscarriage issue and the chromsomal abnormality and Clomid will do nothing for that.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
SoBayAsker
User

Post by SoBayAsker »

Thanks, Dr. Wisot. What would you suggest for the recurrent miscarriages and chromosomal abnormalities?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I don't know enough about your history and can't make specific recommendations here anyway.

But all of this should be taken into account to give you your options for further treatment.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California