Gender Question

Dyson14

Gender Question

Post by Dyson14 »

I recently learned that the sperm donor I used has 7 known male progeny and 1 female (a twin with one of the boys). In addition to the sperm donor, I also used an egg donor and we had many highly rated embryos. My son was born on the 3rd transfer (one embryo each transfer). I donated two of my extra embryos to another couple and they transferred the two embryos during one procedure and ended up with one son. From my research I understand the predominance of one gender over another in the family tree has a male genetic component but I am curious if this due to the actual number of sperm with the Y chromosome, or is there some other component in which female embryos are produced but simply don't implant? Perhaps explaining why it took me longer than I expected to get pregnant… I am very happy with just one child so am asking this question purely out of my curiosity as all of my extra embryos will be given to other families. Thank you!
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: Gender Question

Post by Dr. Amin »

The predominance of one gender in a family tree may have a male genetic component. It is thought that some men produce more sperm of one gender (X versus Y) than the other. In your case, your sperm donor may produce a larger percentage of sperm with the Y chromosome.
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA