IUI

calvinK

IUI

Post by calvinK »

Good evening Doctor,
My wife and I will be attempting our first IUI procedure and I had a question. Is it possible to "stock" up the volume of semen prior to injection? Our fertility Doctor indicated that this was not possible but I find that rather illogical.
I've had samples frozen in the past because I was about to undergo chemotherapy (I am now in remission) so would it not be possible to pool the frozen samples for the IUI procedure to increase our chances?

Kindest regards,
Calvin
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: IUI

Post by Dr. Wisot »

If the counts in the frozen specimens are low it is possible to pool specimens. But if there are a limited number of specimens you want to be careful not to use them up too quickly. So it really depends on the quality and number of those specimens.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
calvinK

Post by calvinK »

Thank you for your prompt response, Dr. Wisot.
I'm hoping that my recent semen analysis indicates little change and we can proceed with a fresh sample. If that is the case, is there a way to pool fresh samples? And would pooling even improve chances given a not-so-favorable analysis?

Thank you kindly,
Calvin
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

You can pool specimens either from two ejaculations in one day or with one the day before incubated overnight in test yolk buffer if you doctor feels that would be helpful.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California