Failed IVF, IUI after 2 natural cycle miscarriages

LucyD
User

Failed IVF, IUI after 2 natural cycle miscarriages

Post by LucyD »

Hi,

I wondered if I could get your opinion on where to go next please?

My partner and I are 35 and have been trying to conceive for 2 years. During that 2 years, we have had 4 failed IUI's followed by 2 natural pregnancies (the second was just 2 months after a D&C) resulting in D&C at 9 weeks after seeing a heartbeat. The second miscarriage showed Triploidy. We then straight to IVF. We had 10 eggs retrieved, all we're mature, all 10 fertilised and 6 made it to blastocyst. 2 good grades were transferred fresh, the other 5 remain frozen. That IVF resulted in a chemical pregnancy.

We are now wondering what to do next... Do we try naturally seeing as that's the only way we've found to actually get us pregnant, even if they did result in miscarriages, or do we keep going with IVF, possibly with PGS?

I really struggled physically and mentally with the IVF. I got sick a few times from bugs and wonder if it caused my immune system to shut down...

When I was younger, I struggled with heavy, irregular and often absent periods and was diagnosed with PCOS. For the past few years, my periods have been a perfect 28 days and my doctor has ruled out PCOS.

We have had all tests done, all come back normal and I ovulate every month. Partners sperm is great apart from poor morphology (1/2%). I also respond very well to the drugs, on a lose dose to produce multiple eggs.

Any advice as to next steps really would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Failed IVF, IUI after 2 natural cycle miscarriages

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I would check your partner's DNA fragmentation and if high take vitamin and antioxidant supplements.

After all you have been through I would be recommending PGS especially since you have had one documented chromosomal abnormality.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
LucyD
User

Post by LucyD »

Hi Dc Wisot,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

We've both had blood tests to check our chromosomes but I've never heard of testing for DNA fragmentation, how is this tested?

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm leaning towards PGS but because the issue was Triploidy and often caused by 2 sperm fertilising an egg and we did icsi, I hoped that the chance of this would be eliminated. Would welcome your thoughts on this.

Many thanks
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

The test for DNA fragmentation is the SCSA-Sperm Chromatin Structure Assay.

You can still get triploidy with ICSI caused by the egg but it is less common.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
LucyD
User

Post by LucyD »

Thank you Dr