PGS- all embryos abnormal. What now?

Foxl
User

PGS- all embryos abnormal. What now?

Post by Foxl »

My husband and I have been struggling with infertility for a couple of years. I am 35 years old and my husband is 42. The beginning of 2015, I had 3 IUI's, all resulted in bfn. In the summer of 2015, we did our first ivf which resulted in three day 3 embryos. 2 embryos were transferred and resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The last frozen embryo was transferred as a FET and resulted in a blighted ovum. Following the blighted ovum, my doctor completed a battery of tests offered to women with multiple miscarriages including a cryogenetics report and all came back normal.

Now, December of 2015, we completed a new IVF which resulted in 9 eggs retrieved, 8 mature and 6 made it to day 5 blastocysts for freezing. We were very pleased with the number and sent them all for PGS screening. We were devestated to find out that all 6 embryos were "abnormal".
#1: partial mosaic trisomy Xpter- q23
#2: mosaic partial trisomy 5p15.1-qter
#3: mosaic monosomy 2, mosaic monosomy 4
#4: partial trisomy 1p31.1-qter
#5: mosaic trisomy 15
#6: complex abnormal

Our doctor gave us a couple options, to try another IVF or to move onto donor eggs. We aren't sure what to do.

How common is it for a 35 year old women to have 6 abnormal embryos in a batch? Am I safe to assume that the embryos in my previous IVF attempt were also abnormal? How likely would it be to see a normal embryo at this point?

My doctor says I'm still young, but this last IVF has left me really worried.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: PGS- all embryos abnormal. What now?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

To have all abnormal is unusual and apparently even at your age you make an unusually high proportion of abnormals.

I have see this turn around in a subsequent cycle so I usually don't recommend someone give up on their own eggs at your age. In someone older than 40 I might suggest it.

My Ouija board says try again, but remember that's not too scientific. :idea:

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California