Follicles Shrunk

mrsmcc86
User

Follicles Shrunk

Post by mrsmcc86 »

Hello, I am hoping you can provide me with some advice.
This is my first cycle TTC through IUI. My husband has azoospermia so we are using donor sperm. My blood work and saline hsg test results came back without any issues.

CD1 was Dec 26th - my usual 30 day cycle start timeframe. I took Clomid from CD 2-6 but my period was extremely light from 3-6 (which is VERY rare for me) then started again after Clomid until CD 8 (weird??). Then I had my first u/s on CD 10 (Jan 4). Nurse called with results:

Right:13.2 x 11.9 & 7.8 x 8.2

Left: 13.8 x 13.2 & 7.4 x 7.1

Nurse said I had to go back on CD 13(Jan 7) for a follow up u/s. Got results later that day:

Right: 9.5 x 10.3 & 8.8 x 8.0

Left: 11.0 x 10.9 & 6.4 x 6.9

Nurse said this cycle was a bust, she didn't know why they would have shrunk and that the Doc wants me to begin blood work on Jan 16 (CD 22) and every week after that until I get my period to check my hormones (progesterone). I requested another ultrasound be done as I tend to O late in my cycle (CD 17 to even as late as CD 21), the Doctor denied this request saying that there was no way my follicles would be mature enough to ovulate this month.

What are the reasons that a follicle would shrink instead of maturing without ovulating?? Nurse said this has happened to others but couldn't give me any reasons. I read that this happens to women who have pcos but I don't.

Any advice!?
Thanks
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Follicles Shrunk

Post by Dr. Wisot »

It's unfortunately impossible to interpret what happened here with this limited information. The progesterone levels will tell if you ultimately ovulate.

Are you going to an OB/GYN or reproductive endocrinologist? If an OB/GYN, my advice would be to go to a real fertility doctor who is more responsive to your needs and who does his/her own ultrasounds.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
mrsmcc86
User

Post by mrsmcc86 »

Yes I am currently going to an OB/GYN, I live in Canada and there are no RE's in my city so I would have to go about 2.5 hours away to see one. If I did all of my initial testing through this fertility centre and RE but ultimately decided to give the one in my city a try for convenience and cost. The RE said they would likely have me monitored by ultrasound in my own city to cut back on travelling/time away from work, however if I was willing to do the travelling then I'm sure they would be fine with that too. I am wanting to give my cities clinic one more try next cycle and if I am not happy with the way are handling it then I will make the switch.

So, if my progesterone levels say that I DID ovulate this cycle, do you have any advice on how I should proceed with my current OB/GYN? Or what may have happened?

Thank you.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

That's a tough logistical situation. :(

If the progesterone level shows ovulation and is a good level they should do another cycle of Clomid at the same dose but continue monitoring for a longer time. If it does not show ovulation then Clomid at the next higher dose and monitor longer.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
mrsmcc86
User

Post by mrsmcc86 »

Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it.