IUD removal days before ovulation, safe to try?

ktgrok
User

IUD removal days before ovulation, safe to try?

Post by ktgrok »

I'm 40 years old and getting my Mirena IUD out via hysteroscopy on Friday, which will be cycle day 10. Lately I've had short cycles, so am anticipating ovulation, if it happens, around day 12. Is it safe to try to conceive that close to removal, or will my lining likely be too thin from having the Mirena in place during the whole first part of my cycle? And if it is thin, does that prevent implantation (which is fine) or can it allow implantation, a positive test, etc and then later cause a miscarriage? Because of my age I am not sure if it is best to go ahead and try, or if it is better to wait until I have a full cycle without the Mirena in place. What would you advise?

Edited to add: I have had three children already. One is 16 yrs old, one is 6 yrs old, and one is 3 yrs old. All conceived naturally, two were not on purpose, the other the first time we tried. I have been taking DHEA for the last several months (levels were low normal in bloodwork) and CoQ10, as well as prenatal vitamin, extra iron, calcium, and fish oil.
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: IUD removal days before ovulation, safe to try?

Post by Dr. Amin »

Hello. In general, a Mirena IUD does thin out the lining of the uterus. Since you're having a hysteroscopy, your physician may advise you to wait until next cycle to try to conceive. This will allow your uterus some time to heal after the surgery and allow your lining to thicken again. I would recommend that you speak with your physician about his/her specific recommendations.

Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA