Prolactin and breastfeeding

SoBayAsker
User

Prolactin and breastfeeding

Post by SoBayAsker »

My history: I am 33 yo, I have a 13 month old daughter that was conceived through IUI w/ trigger. I had two miscarriages before having her. For those two pregnancies, one was unassisted and the other was an IUI. My husband and I have both been worked up at Reproductive Partners (Counsyl, semen analysis, post coital, progesterone check) with no findings other than a long cycle. I have not had CD3 bloodwork due to timing. Analysis of second lost pregnancy was 4 copies of nearly all chromosomes, if I recall correctly. We were recommended to move to IVF if I miscarried again.

My question: We're ready to try for another child. I am still nursing, though the amount is decreasing. I stopped the mini-pill one month ago. I have not gotten my period. Will a blood test for prolactin tell me if my nursing is the reason for no period? Is there another workup you'd recommend? I am trying to balance our desire for a another child and my desire to continue nursing. Because of my history I don't want to wait too long before we try again. Is there a way to see if my fertility has returned?

Thank you!
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: Prolactin and breastfeeding

Post by Dr. Amin »

Hello. Breast feeding can cause a delay in the return of menstruation. If you are still breast feeding, your prolactin level will most likely be elevated. If you completely stop breast feeding and your periods don't return, that would be the time to start an evaluation. I would recommend that you speak with your reproductive endocrinologist about the best time to start trying to conceive again.
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA