HELP! DECISION ABOUT SURGERY!

curiousmom
User

HELP! DECISION ABOUT SURGERY!

Post by curiousmom »

Hello all! My wife and I are trying to conceive, and we are taking the steps towards getting the insemination via doctor. We ran all the necessary tests, however in the HVF (?) dye test for the tubes, one of my tubes was showing as clogged. After talking to the doctor, he advised two options: one- he could do everything to unclog the tube, however if he couldn't unclog it using traditional methods, he was going to make an executive decision to cut the tube out. Now, they are telling us that pregnancy can still occur with one tube, but my fear is that considering my hormonal past (it has been horrendous - unexplainable weight gain, PCOS like symptoms), I don't want it to further cause any more damage in that area. The other option is IVF which we all know is expensive. The other caviat the doctor stated, is that even with the insemination method we are currently choosing, there is only a 15% success rate, and with IVF it is much higher at 46%. I would love any advice as to if we should have them do the surgery, and hope that the 15% is in our favor? Or save for IVF and avoid the problem - holding our breath it doesn't cause complications? Any suggestions are MUCH appreciated in this life changing decision! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your advice!
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: HELP! DECISION ABOUT SURGERY!

Post by Dr. Amin »

Hello. The decision to remove a fallopian tube or not really depends on what the hysterosalpingogram (HSG) showed. If the HSG showed a hydrosalpinx (dilation of the fallopian tube), it is advisable to remove that fallopian tube prior to trying to conceive. If the tube is dilated, the fluid that accumulates within it can trickle down into the uterus and make it more difficult to conceive, even with IVF. I would suggest that you review the exact findings with your reproductive endocrinologist, so that you can make the best informed decision.
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA