First FET Success at 37

ptle26
User

First FET Success at 37

Post by ptle26 »

My husband and I started going to RPMG in Redondo Beach, CA September of 2010 after 2 years of unsuccessful trying to conceive on our own. We went through 5 IUI cycles up through the end of 2011 (2 without drugs, 2 with Clomid, and 1 with Clomid + Trigger shot). At the end of the 5th cycle I lost all hope, felt drained, and discouraged. I took a year off and didn't plan to return to RPMG because I didn't want to have to deal with the emotional roller coaster anymore. At one point the thought of seeking a second opinion did cross my mind but thankfully I stuck it out.

We then returned in September of 2012 and discussed the IVF options with Dr. Meldrum. With his knowledge and guidance we proceeded with IVF + PGD. We had our first FET with a single embryo transfer on 1/3/13 and on 1/14/13 I was informed that I am pregnant. I still remember that phone call vividly. I was shaking, crying, and laughing all at the same time and was in disbelief. I kept asking myself can this be real? Angie told me "you're so possitive with first HCG = 600+"

I'm 8 weeks pregnant today 2/7/13. I came in today for what I later learned was going to be my last ultrasound with RPMG. I didn't know I was being discharged until I got out of the ultrasound room. I felt happy and sad at the same time when Liza told me that I won't be coming back to RPMG after today. All of a sudden I felt a void in my heart. After all I've been coming here for 2 years and have developed a relationship with the doctors and nurses over the years.

I'm thankful to have been referred to RPMG by my OB. The doctors, nurses and staff have been wonderful to us. There're no words than can describe our gratitude. We'll be forever grateful for our first little miracle given to us by these wonderful doctors. I will be returning for 4 more FET if age and health will permit.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts and we love you all!
P.L.
Last edited by ptle26 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: First FET Success at 37

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I'm so happy to hear your good news and wish you an easy, happy and successful remainder of the pregnancy and, of course, a beautiful and healthy baby. :D

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
dmeldrum

Post by dmeldrum »

We are so happy you were successful. One of the main advantages of evaluating all of the chromosomes of each embryo (preimplantation screening, PGS) is to not be transferring embryos that have no chance of implanting or may miscarry. Just as you illustrated, couples have difficulty tolerating failure and may simply give up. Doing PGS telescopes all of the success into the one transfer and allows women over 35 to have a single embryo transferred with a high rate of success while avoiding the risks of multiple pregnancy. Recent studies have found that the rate of miscarriage is reduced to about 5%. I have written about these advantages at www.davidmeldrummd.com (click on "quads"). That page talks about my personal experience having had quadruplets early in the evolution of fertility care. Now we have the tools to transfer a single embryo with a high rate of success for the majority of our couples. I am often asked by my patients what I would recommend for my daughter and it's exactly what I recommended for you.
Be sure to show us the outcome of all of our efforts!
Dr. Meldrum
ptle26
User

Post by ptle26 »

Thank you doctor Wisot for your well wishes. My pregnancy has been such a breeze up to now without a hint of morning sickness, tiredness, or anything out of the ordinary besides a few mild normal cramps. I'm hoping it will continue until the end so that I may enjoy life most wonderful gift.

To Dr. Meldrum,
From working with you over the years I realized what a great doctor you are. You're highly intelligent, knowledgeable and kind. I am certain that I'm in good hands and have complete trust in you. I know you have all the best intentions and will treat your patients as if they were your own daughters. I am looking forward to returning to your care at the end of the year.

Thank you
P.L.
ptle26
User

Post by ptle26 »

Our first miracle resulted in a beautiful baby boy who is now 10 months old. Today I've returned to RPMG for our second trial of FET. I'm sadden at the fact that Dr. Meldrum has retired however, I'm certain that I'll be in good hands. Hoping and praying for our miracle baby #2!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

We still follow Dr. Meldrum's protocols so the care you get will be no different than if he were there. We all miss him and we will do our best to see that you get a good result.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
ptle26
User

Double trouble

Post by ptle26 »

When our son was 10 months old we returned to RPMG July of 2014 to try for a sibling for him. After 5 rounds of FET, 2 additional cycles of IVF, 2 rounds of hysteroscopy, 1 mock FET cycle, and finally 1 fresh round of 2 embryos transfer on 10/27/15 I'm now 18 weeks pregnant with twins.

I can't say this time around was all that exciting. There was too much headache and heartache involved. After 3 failed FET from IVF cycle #1, which gave us our first son, we were hopeful to try again. We then undergone a second round of IVF which resulted in 3 good embryos, 2 boys and 1 girl. We decided to transfer the girl first which ended up being a fail cycle. I was heart broken since that could've been our only chance to having a girl but then I got over it and moved on. We transferred the 2 boys with the next FET which also failed. After that 5th round of FET I lost all hope and my heart was shattered to pieces. I cried and cried for months and was rock bottom. I drowned myself in depression and couldn't get out. I asked myself what are we to do now? Where do we go from here? Do we just give up now? What if the next round is the answer? And so many more what ifs.

After all of the crying was over I decided to just go for it again or I'll never be able to live with myself for not trying further. We undergone a third and final round of IVF. This time I also did the herbal cleanse and both of us took herbal supplements for 3-4 weeks prior. We retrieved the least amount of eggs this time around, 15 vs. 27, as compared to previous cycles and ended up with 6 embryos. On the day of the transfer the embryologist informed us that we were transferring 2 "gorgeous" 5AA embryos. I felt a great deal of relief and all of a sudden got very excited because the 2 embryos looked exactly like the 1 that resulted in our son.

I've never once cheated with a home pregnancy test during the many years with RPMG but this time something compelled me to do so. I cheated on day 3 post transfer and had to squint very hard in order to see a super faint line. I brushed it off and thought it could've been my head playing tricks with my heart. I kept telling myself over and over to not get my hopes up. I continued to use the home pregnancy test daily and sometimes twice daily just because I was afraid the line would disappear.

On the day of the beta HCG I was still cautiously optimistic for the result that I've been seeing could still be from the trigger shot, or could it be? The long and agonizing wait was finally over when I came in for a blood test on 11/7/15 which is now the second best day of my life. Dr Ambartsumyan texted me during her meeting just to save me from being a nervous wreck. She reported my HCG level was in the 900s which indicates a possibility of twins. Then, the first ultrasound a week later confirmed twins!

Dr. Ambartsumyan had been my partner throughout this whole year of ups and downs. When I felt like giving up she was always there by my side, providing me with that much needed boost of strength and emotional support. She continued to guide me through each step with her knowledge, experience and expertise. She is always positive, cheerful, patient and kind which helped lifted me out of my dark clouds. Along side Dr. A is Nancy, who is my favorite nurse of all. Nancy was the one nurse there that continued to provide me with words of encouragement each time I failed. She was always there to cheer me on and lifted me back up after each bad fall. Her expressions of hope, faith and care were very sincere and genuine. Without these 2 wonderful ladies I'm not sure if I'd have the strength and endurance to go on.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You are truly miracle workers and I am very thankful to have found you in my life.

PL
Last edited by ptle26 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Thanks for the followup to your story. Your persistence in view of adverse circumstances will be inspiring to others. I will pass this on to Dr. A and Nancy.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Dr. Ambartsumyan
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Ambartsumyan »

Thank you for this post. Truly an inspiring story that persistence pays off. I know what a long struggle it was for you and I'm so glad everything worked out at the end! I cannot wait to meet the babies. Hope you are doing well. We are all so excited for you here at RPMG.

Gayane Ambartsumyan MD