Empty Follicle Syndrome and IVM

faithful

Empty Follicle Syndrome and IVM

Post by faithful »

I went through one cycle of IVF at Reproductive Partners and was diagnosed with empty follicle syndrome (EFS) in 2008 (after double dose of hcG).
Is In Vitro Maturation a good option for empty follicle syndrome? Does RP perform IVM?
Since 2008, is there new data for protocols for women diagnosed with EFS? I know there are studies that show 67% of women dx with EFS are not true EFS diagnosis.

I never tried Clomid prior to the IVF nor had a post coital test to check for antibodies to my husband's sperm. Is the post coital test important? Would it effect the IVF should antibodies be present?

Thanks in advance...I've been holding in a lot of questions over the last 5 years. :?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Empty Follicle Syndrome and IVM

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

IVM is not a good option for EFS because to do IVM you have to get eggs and that's the problem in EFS. RPMG does do IVM when it's needed but that's when eggs are immature and that's not the problem with EFS.

EFS occurs usually because the hCG does not do it's job of preparing the eggs for release and then releasing them. That's why we give higher doses of hCG and that usually works.

Clomid won't help the problem and unless you do IVF you won't know if the eggs are released.

Antisperm antibodies can be overcome in IVF by doing ICSI.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California