Abnormal embryos with consistent pattern

winnie_238

Abnormal embryos with consistent pattern

Post by winnie_238 »

Hello,

I am 38 years old. I have a 5 year-old son conceived naturally. I had 3 miscarriages after that (2 last year). I recently had my first IVF cycle. Two RE I consulted told me I had a very good egg reserve for my age. I had 41 eggs retrieved, 25 matured, 17, fertilized and 11 made it to genetic testing. But unfortunately, all of them were genetical abnormal. My RE was very puzzled with the results and he said it is the most shocking he has been with the results. There is a pattern in the numbers and he did not have a very good explanation for that. My husband and I had our the karyotypes done and they were normal.

Here are the results:
Trip/polysomy 5
Trip/polysomy 19
Trip/polysomy 16
Monosomy 13,21
Monosomy 21,22
Monosomy 22
Monosomy 21
Monosomy 21
Monosomy 16
Trip/polysomy 16,22
Monosomy 18,22

I wanted to ask Dr. Wisot if he has ever seen a case like this and what your interpretation may be.

Thank you so much!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Abnormal embryos with consistent pattern

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I agree with your doctor that this is very unusual.

All the monsomies make me wonder if they are real or just loss of signal. I would suggest thawing all the monosomies and retesting them, then refreezing just to be sure they are really monosomies and not a lab technical glitch. Unfortunately other than that I do not have an answer. :?: Maybe the genetic counselors at the testing lab have a clue.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
winnie_238

Post by winnie_238 »

Thank you so much Dr. Wisot for your response and recommendation. Have you had a case where you had to ask the lab to retest the embryos?

Thanks again.
winnie_238

Post by winnie_238 »

Dr Wisot, THANK YOU again for responding. I have a question. What do you mean by loss of signal?

Thanks!
Last edited by winnie_238 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

It's a technical issue where the chromsome is present but it is not recognized. I have had embryos retested on occasion but it unfortunately did not change the outcome.

But in your case with so many single monosomies I think there may be a chance that there are some technical issues.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
winnie_238

Post by winnie_238 »

Thank you for the clarification Dr. Wisot. Another RE I am consulting is going to call the lab tomorrow. Does the patient usually have to pay for the retesting in your experience?

Thanks!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

No charge usually.

Let us all know what the RE says.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
winnie_238

Post by winnie_238 »

Hi Dr. Wisot,

My RE is talking to the lab to see if they can retest some of the embryos for free. But there is not much hope he said. I sent him your suggestion and you won't believe this but it turns out my RE is related to you! I would just put his initials (ER). What a small world. By the way Dr. R told me today that none of the other doctors in his clinic have seen a case like mine. I am wondering if you have seen a case similar or same as mine? Thank you so much for helping us in this forum. I will keep you informed.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Yes. We are related and he is with a very good practice so you can depend on them.

I have seen cases with all abnormal embryos but not with so many embryos and so many single monosomies, usually complex trisomies.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
winnie_238

Post by winnie_238 »

Thanks Dr. Wisot. We'll see what happens.