Progesterone-in-oil vs. Prometrium (oral progesterone)

BeachBum

Progesterone-in-oil vs. Prometrium (oral progesterone)

Post by BeachBum »

Hi -

In the realm of IVF, is there any clinical difference between taking progesterone-in-oil injections and Prometrium (oral progesterone)? I realize the latter is more expensive, but it has the obvious advantage of not being very sharp. The injections are manageable, however, so if there is an advantage to using them, it probably wouldn't be an issue as we don't want to do anything to jeopardize maximizing our chances for a successful cycle.

I know about the progesterone vaginal suppositories, but I understand the monitoring progesterone levels isn't as accurate due to the different method of absorption. (I've read they also have their share of potential problems -- irritation, infection, and frequent administration.) So I'm wondering if the Prometrium has a similar problem.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Progesterone-in-oil vs. Prometrium (oral progesterone)

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

We don't consider Prometrium as adequate for IVF supplementation. The only approved progesterones in pregnancy are Crinone and Endometrin, both vaginal. They are absorbed locally and blood levels do not matter. They are alternatives to the shots.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
JESSIE

Post by JESSIE »

Dr Wisot;

I have this item in the drawer never been used from the last IVF treatment. since I'm thinking of IVF treatment again, it's alright I have the progesterones supplement?

Thanks

Jessie

**The only approved progesterones in pregnancy are Crinone and Endometrin, both vaginal.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

That's a specific advice question you need to ask your doctor.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California