Frozen cycles after Miscarriage

anahusted

Frozen cycles after Miscarriage

Post by anahusted »

I had a great experience through the stim cycle. I am 32 now and my husband is 35. We are coded as unexplained but my husband has 2% morphology. We tried to conceive for years and nothing. We had 7 blasts make it to freeze. On our first frozen cycle we transferred one of the blasts and I got pregnant. Everything looked beautiful. We saw the heartbeat at 6w,8w,9w and I graduated from reproductive partners in san diego to my OB. On my first OB appointment we discovered there was no heartbeat and baby stopped growing at 9 weeks. I had a missed miscarriage as I had no idea ( no spotting or cramping) I am now left with 6 blasts and I am terrified of this happening again. I didn't do PGS/PGD testing before freezing and I should have. now I feel it is too strenuous to thaw, test, freeze and thaw again not to mention the 9 thousand dollars extra. I know I have to make this decision by myself but I would love your input as to what could have caused this miscarriage and what to do next. - Thank you very much for reading my post
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Frozen cycles after Miscarriage

Post by Dr. Wisot »

If they did not do a karyotype on the products of conception you will not know the cause of the miscarriage.

But any embryo can have chromosomal errors and they are not related to the appearance of the embryo. Miscarriages from chromosomal abnormalities are common, usually quoted as about 20% of pregnancies.

I think you can go ahead and do another transfer knowing the chance is greater that the pregnancy will be successful rather than another miscarriage.

Miscarriages are very difficult to deal with emotionally, but at your age and with six blasts left the odds are good that you will ultimately be successful.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
anahusted

Post by anahusted »

Thank you so much for your quick response. When I did my D&C this past Saturday I made sure to let my doctor know to send the fetus for what they called pathology testing. I'm not sure if that will be able to give us any specific answers but I thought it was worth a try.
Now I wanted to know your opinion on transferring one versus two embryos. If they both attach and let's say one is right and the other is a little broken. Obviously the broken one won't fully develop and at some point it will seize developing. Will the one that stops developing affect the healthy fetus? Thank you in advance for your input. I really appreciate it
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

"Pathology" testing will not give you an answer; chromosome testing by karyotype may.

At your age I would be recommending transferring one.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
anahusted

Post by anahusted »

Bummer I thought they were going to test and give me some answers but according to what you described I am not holding my breath for any answers.
Thank you for making your suggestion to go with one. Do you think two embryos increase the chance of a life birth?
How many cycles do you suggest waiting after a d&c to do another FET?
Thank you again very much
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Transferring one will not increase the chance of a live birth as much as it will increase the chance of a multiple pregnancy with its added risks which you do not need, especially after this experience.

Knowing all the details your doc is the best one to tell you how long to wait to do another transfer.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.