Corpus Luteum - progesterone

charl_6

Corpus Luteum - progesterone

Post by charl_6 »

I have a simple question about Corpus Luteum (CL) in the case of IVF.

Is there a functional CL after oocyte extraction or is there several CL if the Dr extracts several oocytes? I can not find any scientific material regarding the development/function of Corpus Luteum after oocyte extraction during IVF. Because the follicle is 'damaged' when the vacuum-needle is inserted and the oocytes (eggs) are sucked out. Can this damaged follicle turn into a functional Corpus Luteum?

BEST!

/charl
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Corpus Luteum - progesterone

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Corpra lutea are formed but do not function adequately and that's why supplemental estrogen and progesterone are given following egg retrieval in fresh cycles.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
charl_6

Post by charl_6 »

Hi!

Thanks for Your answer.
I can not find any specific time/duration of treatment with progesterone. I have searched around the scientific material that could be found especially Pubmed and Cochrane and found some reviews and some newer articles. I could not find any answer according treatment time. Some says max until positive urine hCG test, some says until the placenta takes over the production of progesterone.

What is Your recommendation if the reason to the IVF today is unclear and probably is due to LPD (luthenal phase deficiency) of some kind? Otherwise 100% healthy woman.

Thank you!

//charl
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

The duration of treatment with estrogen and progesterone varies with weaning and ultimately discontinuation based on rising blood levels.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California