Sac measurements

holland75

Sac measurements

Post by holland75 »

Hi Dr. Wisot,
I am a patient of yours and am currently pregnant as a result of a 3 day transfer of donor egg/sperm. My beta started at 735ish but did not double on the second beta instead it only went to around 1100. A day after the second beta I started cramping and bleeding and was due at the office for a third beta which I later found out did rise to around 1900. At that visit, I was given an ultrasound and a sac was detected that measured 5mm. I was also switched from suppositories to injectible progesterone and the thought was that since 2 embryos were transferred back (one 5-cell, one 8 cell) maybe they both implanted but the poorer quality one miscarried. My visit today (7 days later) showed the sac measurement was 9mm and a yolk sac was detected. My concern is that the sac seems small and based on my history of miscarriage - most recently at around 8 weeks with donor egg/husband's sperm - I am just paranoid about everything and wondering if things are looking ominous for this pregnancy too. Could you give me your thoughts? I was told today that everything looked on track and that sac size can vary at this point but I just can't help but worry since I thought sac size develops at about 1mm a day. Thank you - always - for everything!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Sac measurements

Post by Dr. Wisot »

It's good that there is a yolk sac. I can't figure out just how far along you are but I don't worry too much about the size of the gestational sac. There is great variation.

If you would like, I am on this weekend, and you can make an appointment on Sunday and I will calculate your exact dates and see what is on the ultrasound and give you my best estimation of your chances.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
holland75

Re: Sac measurements

Post by holland75 »

Okay, thanks - I will call tomorrow to try and do that - sorry, forgot to put the dating info - I was told I was 5 weeks, 6 days today with the measurement of 9 mm taken today as well.