Mini IVF

RJNS

Mini IVF

Post by RJNS »

I am 43 and just completed a failed mini IVF. We tried a regular IVF cycle prior. The embryo quality was much improved with the mini IVF on me. My RE retrieved 3 eggs and all fertilized by ICSI. On day 3, 1 was at 8-cell with no fragmentation, the other 2 were "at the next level", as my RE put it, where the cells kind of merge together before separating again (morula?). He transferred all 3.

However, my question is regarding why some clinics say they use only Clomid for 5-10 days then 1 vial of Menopur every other day for 3 days for their protocol whereas my RE had me take the Clomid for 5 days and still use 225 units of Follistim, 1 then 2 vials of Menopur, Ganirelix and then Ovudrel. With the regular IVF cycle, I was doing 300 units of Follistim so it wasn't reduced that much, in my opinion, but the nurse insisted 225 units was "low dose". I still did 1-2 vials Menopur, the Ganirelix and Ovudrel with the mini cycle.

My thinking is that with the Follistim only reduced by 75 units/day and showing such a noticeable improvement in embryo quality, shouldn't using even less or none at all be even better? My RE never said anything about my bloodwork being abnormal so why is there such a variance in mini IVF protocols from clinic to clinic? I understand it's a case by case basis, but do you think the protocol my RE used with me was minimal stimulation? Or am I just confused on how each of those drugs work and I actually did need them all?

Thanks!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Mini IVF

Post by Dr. Wisot »

According to the SART rules the definition of minimal stimulation is up to each clinic. So it varies tremendously and it has to do on how we report our cases.

Your protocol does not sound like min stim to me but they can report your case as min stim and gain an advantage. Our min stims are Clomid or letrozole only which is our definition.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
RJNS

Post by RJNS »

Thank you. The info about how my RE can report it as being mini stim even though it actually isn't is very insightful.

So the RPMG protocol is Clomid only and no injections?

I haven't been very happy with some of my RE's methods because of things like this so I am going to look for a new RE. Do all of your locations do mini stim or does one do more than the others? I'm in the West LA area, but will go to whichever has the most experience with it.

I sent a message to your clinic to ask about it, but no one has replied. I'll have to call one of your clinics on Monday.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

All of our locations do minimal stimulation IVF. Our Beverly Hills/West LA location probably does the most and is very experienced. You will love Drs. Rosen, Huang and Wambach.

You should receive a call from our call center on Monday. If not please call again Monday morning when they are open or call the Beverly Hills office tomorrow between 7:30 and 11 AM when they are open.

We look forward to helping you. :)

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California