mthfr question

mthfr

mthfr question

Post by mthfr »

Dr. Wisot,

After a successful IVF pregnancy and delivery(fresh cycle-at 24), I had three consecutive miscarriages(frozen cycles)One was due to subchorionic hematoma at 15 wks, 2nd was blighted ovum and 3rd was a chemical(at 28). My RE didn't even order any tests for me after all my miscarriages :x I knew I had to do something about it and had my Ob run a bunch of tests on me. I discovered that I have Mthfr(both copies). My homocystein levels are normal. I'm so afraid of going through everything again and needing blood thinners. Have you come across women with mthfr(with both copies) that have been successful with blood thinners?

I'm so hesitant of going through the IVF process with/without bloodthinners! I'm starting to feel that I need to accept that I have a problem and that I should just be happy with having one child and consider adoption :cry:
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: mthfr question

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Great question. :?

The thinking on this has changed because of the potential bad side effects from anticoagulants. Most feel that to use them requires multiple losses over 10 weeks and another thrombotic event like thrombophlebitis.

So this needs to be discussed with your RE to see if he/she is willing to prescribe them and you are willing to accept the possible serious adverse effects. Certainly using baby aspirin daily is an option.

This is a tough issue and the answer changes based on new studies but in 2011 they are out of favor for most REs.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California