Question regarding rescue ICSI

nsalins

Question regarding rescue ICSI

Post by nsalins »

I just finished IVF. 15 eggs were retrieved but none fertilized. Rescue ICSI was performed and 9 eggs fertilized. 3 embryos were implanted but none were successful. The remaining 6 embryos stopped developing after a few days. My doctor said that she had a gut feeling that my egg quality was poor because the embryos which were not implanted did not develop very far. Is it possible that my embryos failed to develop because they were fertilized via rescue ICSI a day later than usual? Or did the embryos fail to develop because of poor egg quality? Or is this impossible to tell? Even if you have some statistics to help me understand which cause is most likely, that would be helpful. If this failed IVF round was due to an egg quality issue that cannot be solved with ICSI, I won't do another IVF round. Thank you for your time.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding rescue ICSI

Post by Dr. Wisot »

You cannot draw any conclusions about your egg quality based on the outcome of a "rescue" ICSI cycle. They often do not go well.

But you now have somewhat of an answer about the cause of your infertility: failure to fertilize.

A future cycle using ICSI primarily will likely go much better and you will get a much more accurate idea of your egg quality.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
nsalins

Post by nsalins »

I really appreciate your reply. I have decided to try another round of IVF. I wish you were my doctor.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I wish so too. :)

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California