Hydro Fix with Essure or Lap/Salpingectomy?

PDM

Hydro Fix with Essure or Lap/Salpingectomy?

Post by PDM »

Hi Dr. Wisot,

I am 32 years old and have been trying to conceive for a year with an early miscarriage 10 months ago. My cycles have always been normal. I have always had very predictable periods, no pain, no cysts or fibroids (that I know of). My husband has been tested and is fine.

I started going in for testing - progesterone, ultrasounds, 3 day bloods, PCT - all came back normal. I went in for an HSG and my right tube appeared to be fine (dye went through very quickly), but my left tube looks like a hydro. What makes it worse is that the hydro is open (the dye went through) - so now I am really at risk for an ectopic.

Now I am faced with two options: Do I get Essure to help with the Hydro or do I get a Lap and remove the tube?

From my research and what my RE told me was that Essure:

a) Doesn't paint the full picture as to what's going on and we are just going off the assumption that what I have is just a hydro and all it needs is to be plugged up. So it's essentially a quick fix for the hydro, but it doesn't help if something else is contributing to the infertility.

I would do the Lap because:

a) It paints the full picture as to what's going i.e: the possibility that it could be Endo, that the other tube could have something wrong with it even through the HSG said it was clear, and/or something else that could be running interference over my reproductive tract. So the lap is basically killing three or four birds with one stone because if I get Essure and don't end up getting pregnant, the next step would be lap surgery anyway?

Do a lot of women who have hydros that come to your office opt for Essure vs. Lap and why? The only reason I would do Essure is bc it is less invasive and I am pretty scared of having the lap. Plus I really don't want to have to lose a tube. But part of me wants to know if there is something else going on, like Endo???

Has there been any successful pregnancies with women who have had a unilateral hydro and have done Essure? If I decide to do the Essure would I have to be monitored the entire pregnancy to make sure the coils stay put and that no fluid gets in the tubes? What is the likelihood of the coil being dislodged as the pregnancy progresses?

Thank You!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Hydro Fix with Essure or Lap/Salpingectomy?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

You sound like you know the pros and cons very well and it really would be best to rely on your doctor's opinion of what is best for you.

Most of our patients opt for Essure because it's less invasive with quicker recovery but it does take three months for the tube to become plugged and requires a repeat HSG to make sure it has worked.

Whichever you choose it sounds like you have done your research and will make the best decision for you.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California