Timing?

Sherm32

Timing?

Post by Sherm32 »

Hi,

I was curious as to what you feel is the best timing for iui? My current doctor has us come in, see if I've ovulated, then give me a trigger shot. I then go in the next day, with no luck (as of 2 previous cycles), then the following day the eggs have dropped. By the time we inseminate (only in am) it's 48 hours passed the time of the trigger. Wouldn't the eggs drop and possibly die before the insemination? We are just cautious now that we are going on cycle 3. I'm only 32 and we are getting nervous about the timing of insemination.

(using Gonal f and Ovidrel)

Thanks!!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Timing?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I don't get the timing here. It is a little confusing. Is the IUI day after the trigger or two days after? There are all sorts of ways doctors time this. Some like to do it on the early side; others only after the egg has released. That probably means it does not make a difference as long as it's around the time of ovulation.

In general, ovulation occurs more than 36 hours after the trigger and it can be up to 48. The egg can probably be fertilized for at least 12 and possibly up to 24 hours after ovulation.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California