Ultrasounds after successful IVF

mpros

Ultrasounds after successful IVF

Post by mpros »

My husband (both 33 yrs of age) and I had a positive beta (650) 11 days post 5 day transfer. We went in for our first ultrasound at 5 weeks 5 days. Doctor saw a sac and yolk at that appointment but said it was too early to see a heartbeat. We are now scheduled for our next ultrasound at 6 weeks, 6 days and I am a nervous wreck that no heartbeat will be seen at that appointment. If no heartbeat is seen does that mean inevitable miscarriage? How common it is to not have a heartbeat develop on an otherwise normal pregnancy to this point? Are these fears irrational? Do you have some numbers or percentages to give me some peace of mind? Thanks!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Ultrasounds after successful IVF

Post by Dr. Wisot »

When the yolk sac is seen that early it usually means that everything is OK and it is much more likely than not that you will see a heartbeat at the next ultrasound. We usually do not see a heartbeat at 5 week 5 days and should see it at 6/6.

We all like to know everything immediately but everyone does lot of waiting in a pregnancy to learn a lot of things. :)

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California