skipping a step?

runner34

skipping a step?

Post by runner34 »

Hello!

My husband and I (33 and 34) have been trying for our first child for over a year now. We've both undergone testing and all appears to be fine regarding sperm counts, tubes and uterus, and hormones (LH, estradiol, AMH, etc.). We eat well. We are athletes with normal BMIs. I have reduced my caffeine and alcohol intake. And still we wait.

Over the past year I have tracked my ovulation patterns and noticed that my luteal phase is on the shorter side - 10-12 days. Occasionally I have had spotting a few days before my periods. My doctor does not seem concerned or to think this is a problem. He has recommended we start doing IUI. I asked to have my progesterone levels tested because I suspect that may be low. I recently had it tested on day 23 and was told by the nurse that while it was on the lower side, it indicated that I had ovulated. That was it.

In Texas my insurance does not cover fertility treatments so we are paying for everything out of pocket. I am just wondering if my doctor and I should be exploring the short luteal phase a bit more before going to IUI, which seems like it has a rather low success rate. Any insight you have is appreciated.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: skipping a step?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I would certainly recommend exploring the luteal phase issue at this point. If your doctor is unwilling perhaps it's time to move on to an RE (I doubt an RE would not explore this issue.)

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
runner34

Re: skipping a step?

Post by runner34 »

Thank you for your quick response Dr. Wisot. I appreciate it and think I am going to seek care from an RE at this point. My gut just didn't feel comfortable moving forward without first addressing the luteal phase issues.

Also, thank you for offering this forum. It is enormously helpful being able to ask questions and get a response from a physician. Now I just wish we lived in California.