Acupuncture during IVF

Jrosek

Acupuncture during IVF

Post by Jrosek »

Hi Dr.Wisot-
I am a patient at the BH office and was just curious of your thoughts regarding acupuncture and IVF?

I am 33 years old with PCOS and possibly poor egg quality. had a failed IVF in November (with acupuncture) and getting ready for round 2. I do not find acupuncture relaxing at all, emotionally it does not help me and I would prefer to not do it this round but have read that it can help and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get pregnant. It's also hard for me to believe in it all that much considering I did it religiously last round and ended up wth a chemical pregnancy.

I have heard that you have some thoughts on this and I would be interested in hearing what they are.

I know how busy you must be but any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Acupuncture during IVF

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

I'm sorry you were not successful on the first go-around.

I looked at this issue extensively when I wrote the chapter on alternative medicine in our book, "Conceptions & Misconceptions." There is a small trend toward improvement in IVF success rates in patients who do acupuncture but it is not a major improvement and I think it's probably due to the relaxation many feel when going through it.

But from your previous experience it does not sound like it has that effect on you so without any guilt I think it would be fine and perhaps even less stressful for you not to do it.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California