IVF and Genital Herpes

Dizzi

IVF and Genital Herpes

Post by Dizzi »

I'm trying to get some information on the management of genital herpes during IVF. I used to have regular (monthly) severe outbreaks which have totally abated with the use of prophylactic Aciclovir (400mg). I'm anxious about discontinuing this and getting outbreaks during treatment which is very very likely to happen, but wonder whether continued use of Aciclovir throughout the cycle will reduce the chance of success.

Any advice gratefully received
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: IVF and Genital Herpes

Post by Dr. Wisot »

This requires specific advice that you need to obtain from your doctor.

And it is likely that your doctor or any doctor) will not have a definitive answer because drugs generally are not tested for their effect on fertility.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
Dizzi

Post by Dizzi »

Thankyou Dr Wisot, I appreciate this is something that may be managed differently for clinic to clinic, but wondered what your personal advice would be to a patient in the same situation? - stay on or come off aciclovir?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I cannot give specific "advice" here. Just answer questions and give general information.

Acyclovir is Category B for pregnancy; considered relatively safe. To my knowledge it has not been tested for it's specific effect on fertility.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.