Morphology

NAGUY

Morphology

Post by NAGUY »

Doctors:

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for approx. a year with no luck. I had a semen analysis done and my count was 69 million, motility was 51%, and my morphology was 2% (strict test). I know this is considered abnormal and low. I am having a follow-up analysis done next week.

My question is in regards to the effect of the low morphology result. I have read many conflicting opinions on the prognosis. Some doctors have said that a 2% result will make it EXTREMELY difficult to conceive, while other doctors have minimized the importance of this result.

Obviously if the first test was an outlier, than this message is mute, but what are your views on the importance of morphology regarding conception, and are you aware of any legitimate ways to improve the issue?

Regards,

NAP
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Morphology

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Abnormally shaped sperm are less likely to be able to fertilize an egg.

But one needs to look at the whole picture. With a good count and motility there is a better chance that a normally shaped one will reach the egg. It's all about chance.

If conservative measures do not help your wife conceive, IVF with ICSI can overcome the fertilization issue.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
PDM

Post by PDM »

I just randomly came across this and thought I could help. Although it's hard to improve morph, they say antioxidants can help. There is tons of research out there!

It takes 3 months to make new sperm so you have to take these for 3 months before you can see results.

Green Tea Extract
Grape Seed Extract
Pycnogenol (Pine Bark)
Ashwagandha
Astaxanthin
Selenium
Glutathione
Lycopene
Pomegranate Juice

Hope this helps!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

In general antioxidants can be useful in some men with morphology issues but not all and not those listed.

To see our regimen see our Lifestyle & Fertility pages and lifechoices pages which you can link to.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California