Unexplained Infertility - Are IUIs a "pre-requisite" to IVF?

lindsey

Unexplained Infertility - Are IUIs a "pre-requisite" to IVF?

Post by lindsey »

Me and husband have unexplained IF ( age 29/32). We have done all the diagnostic tests - SA, Day 3 and Day 21 hormones, thyroid, HSG, ultrasounds. All come back normal. I have a 28 day "textbook" cycle and ovulate every cycle (confirmed by tempting, progesterone test and have LH surge every cycle). We limit our caffeine and alcohol intake and lead healthy lifestyles. Both are very healthy, around 19.5 BMI - so on paper, everything looks perfect. BUT every month goes by with a negative pregnancy tests. I am feeling extremely stressed, hopeless and exhausted from the process, and break down hysterically with every period.

We have been suggested by the RE to try IUI. I have some reservations about it - success rates seem to be very low. We would be paying for everything out of pocket and I would not want to waste resources, time, mental and emotional stamina on treatments that do not work for a majority of people. The best I could find in medical literature was 15% success rate per cycle with IUI, which means 85% failure rate. Our RE is insisting on trying IUI first and would not let us do IVF at this point. I on the other hand, don't want to be wasting our time/money with IUIs and would want to try IVF right away.

Am I jumping the gun? Is IUI worth's trying? Would a different RE agree with going with IVF right away?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Unexplained Infertility - Are IUIs a "pre-requisite" to

Post by Dr. Wisot »

In your situation I think IUIs are worth trying. Although the overall general success rate might be low, your demographics would put you at the head of the class, much higher than "average."

As long as you do not use injectable fertility drugs and stick to natural cycles or Clomid, the costs should not be that great in three or so cycles. The overall cost savings if you succeed would be huge.

I agree with your doc that this is a good strategy. The only place I differ is I would not say you "cannot" do IVF. I give the couple the facts and let them decide.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
lindsey

Re: Unexplained Infertility - Are IUIs a "pre-requisite" to

Post by lindsey »

Thank you for your quick reply.

I gave it some thought, and we will go with Clomid and IUI first. I got a little defensive during our consultation as was expecting some options but doctor gave us his treatment plan with no option to alter it. As far as IVF, he explained that first rule is do no harm and he thinks trying ivf without trying less invasive options first will do harm, as involves powerful trugs, anestesia, invasive procedures.

My impatience and strong desire to have a baby like yesterday sometimes overclouds my judgment and logic. I agree its best to try small steps first.

Thank you for your reply!