IUI again, or move on to IVF?

cmache

IUI again, or move on to IVF?

Post by cmache »

Doctor- I am feeling a bit heartbroken today with a failed first IUI attempt. I am just looking for some additional perspective. Although the hardest part is the IUI not taking in itself, the cost is also hard to swallow, as my husband are I are paying majority out of pocket. So... maybe you can offer some insight.

I am a 38F, my husband is a 41M. We have been trying for a year and 3 months to get pregnant. We have my age and male infertility issues working against us. Here is some info for you:

Husband:
3/3/2015- Sperm count: 11M, Motility RProgress: 56%, Morphology: 0
5/18/2015- Sperm count: 9M, Motility RProgess: 38.85%, Morphology:6
7/9/2015- (for IUI)- Sperm count: 3.51M, RProgress: 34.65%, Morphology: 3

My husband started on clomid in January of 2015. He has taken it every other day up until this past month when we completed the IUI on the 9th. I have passed all the criteria as far as no blocked tubes, ovulating, etc. As for medications for IUI prep, I was put on clomid for five days, then 2 gonal- F shots, right before it looked like I was on my way to ovulating, (which I do normally each month on day 14 generally, 28 cycle). My question is, given this information, do you think continuing on with IUI efforts, or going on to IVF would be most beneficial for us?

I really appreciate review and time.
cmache

Re: IUI again, or move on to IVF?

Post by cmache »

I also had 250mcg of Orvidrel the wednesday before IUI on Thurs.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Two rules that might help guide you.

1. Current thinking is that one cycle of gonadtropins is all you need because it's much less likely to work in subsequent tries. So you have had that in a cycle mixed with Clomid.

2. IUI is less likely to be successful with counts under 10 million and he has only been able to achieve that once.

So you can figure out what I will vote for. ;)

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
cmache

Post by cmache »

Gotcha- thanks so much. :)