Painful Ovulation and Unexplained Secondary Infertility

nej7112

Painful Ovulation and Unexplained Secondary Infertility

Post by nej7112 »

Hi,

I have extreme pain during ovulation, and I wonder if this is causing my secondary unexplained infertility. I had a c-section 2 years ago, I've been on Clomid (not currently) and I got pregnant very quickly with my son. The extreme pain started when I switched Clomid to days 3-7, and I had the pain on cycle day 3. After two months of this, I stopped taking Clomid. This is my second cycle off of it, and in both cases I have terrible ovulation pain, such that my c-section scar is sore to the touch and I double over in pain when standing up.

My OBGYN checked for scar tissue lumps and could not find anything, and last month all looked normal in an ultrasound. Do you know what could be causing the pain and could it effect my fertility? I've been trying to conceive for 14 months and had 1 chemical pregnancy in between. Thanks!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Painful Ovulation and Unexplained Secondary Infertility

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I can't tell what it could be from here. But one common problem that can cause pain without ultrasound findings is endometriosis. If the pain is that bad perhaps a laparoscopy would be indicated.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
nej7112

Post by nej7112 »

Thank you! I worry about that. My OBGYN mentioned that could be a factor, but likely insurance would not cover laparoscopy unless other problems occurred. Would it make sense for me to confirm what is covered and ask her to do some discovery work, or is that considered insulting her professional intelligence? I respect her and wouldn't want to do that, however I want to have another child.

Here's the odd thing. This happened the day I had my chemical pregnancy, too. And, After a few hours this morning, it completely stopped and now I am fine. What would cause this? Same possibility of endometriosis? Thank you!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I do not think any insurance would not cover a laparoscopy for persistent pelvic pain, just forget about the fertility aspects. Have your doctor submit a prior authorization based on the severity of the pain.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
nej7112

Post by nej7112 »

Thank you!!