Opiates and sperm count fertility?

hopeful

Opiates and sperm count fertility?

Post by hopeful »

My wife and I have a visit with a fertility Doctor next week. My wife is 44 years old. We had no plan on having another child as we had a very healthy precious boy. Tragically my son passed a month ago in an accident. Both my wife and I are devastated. We had one healthy child and were very happy with our family.

With my wife’s age, we are up against the clock. With my son, my wife did not get pregnant on our own. We worked with IVF and a sperm insemination performed and we had a healthy pregnancy and birth.

My question is regards to opiates and sperm count and fertility. A few months back I fell off a ladder while working on my house. The fall did a number on my back, I was in the hospital for weeks. I have a surgery scheduled for October. In the mean time I am Percocet for the pain. Trust me, if I could avoid not taking this medicine I would. I have tried alternative methods but I am in very server pain. I am hopeful my surgery will provide relief and a brighter future for my health. However in the meantime, without it, the pain is so severe I can’t get through a normal day without taking it as prescribed. I hate that this is my reality.

I understand on of the side effects is it will affect my testosterone levels. I will get the opportunity to discuss this with my Doctor next week, but in the meantime I wanted to do some research. My understanding is I am on a fairly large daily dosage.

My question is the following.

Will being on opiates effect my sperm count or fertility in any way? Will it affect the count, or the function in way? I am worried. My wife and I want desperately to have another shot at having a baby.
My doctor has explained to me that even after my surgery I will need some form of pain management for at least a few weeks. So best case scenario I won’t be off the medication for a few months.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Opiates and sperm count fertility?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I am so sorry to hear that you experienced such an awful tragedy.

I don't believe that Percocet would have a significant effect on your count, motility or morphology. The official information says that "The possible effects on male or female fertility have not been studied in animals."

In any case you are probably looking at IVF again and most non-genetic sperm issues can usually be overcome by using ICSI. I am more concerned about your wife's age as an issue.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

Thank you for the reply Doctor. I am worried about my wife's age as well, she is 44 but knocking on the door of 45, as her birthday is December.

Does the fact that she had a successful healthy birth help her overall chances with getting pregnant?

Obviously we feel cheated. All we ever wanted was a family and we were grateful we had one and never took for granted how lucky we were.I pray we are fortunate again and are provided the opportunity to get pregnant.

Thank you again
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Unfortunately her previous successful pregnancy years ago does not have much influence on her chances now.

Have the doctors check her ovarian reserve and hope there is enough there to give you a chance.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California