Causes for body to reject alive fetus

mirakel

Causes for body to reject alive fetus

Post by mirakel »

Does anyone know if it is possible for a body to reject a living fetus if there is something wrong with the baby?
I mean the fetus is growing and developing and measuring to date but body started rejection of fetus anyway.
Can the body reject a living fetus because there is something wrong with the fetus?
Because I started bleeding and the fetus was alive and everything looked perfect then one day later the baby was obviously dead as already out of the uterus.

Isn't the normal procedure that the baby dies if something is wrong then the body starts the rejection?

What causes are there for a body to reject a living fetus?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Causes for body to reject alive fetus

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your pregnancy.

There is no such thing as "rejection" of a pregnancy as in when there is a mismatched organ transplant.

A lot of things can go wrong in a pregnancy and even if there is a living fetus the uterus can start contracting and expel the fetus. That can happen for different reasons but one of the most common is if there is bleeding behind the placenta which makes the uterus irritable.

Unfortunately you will probably never know why this happened and that makes it harder to deal with. :cry:

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
mirakel

Post by mirakel »

Thank you Dr. Wisot for your reply.
I have some follow up questions, I hope that is okay.
I had cramping, like a heavy feeling in my vagina like a week before I started bleeding, and also the feeling like everything was going to fall out (never had this any other pregnancy or when non-pregnant).
We lost a pregnancy this spring too and after that I had a lot of clotting in my period and get easily bruised. Are these signs that something is wrong with my blood?
When there's a bleeding behind the placenta, is this caused by something being wrong with the mother or is it just one of those things that can happen?
Can babyaspirin prevent this from happening the next pregnancy? And most of all, is this likely to happen other pregnancies if I don't get medical care or is it just one of those things that can happen some pregnancies without having a medical reason behind it happening?
And how is bleeding behind the placenta avoided the next pregnancy? Am I to higher risk of it happening again? Will I need some medical screening for this?
Like I mentioned, I have noticed a lot of clotting in my last pregnancies after the baby we lost (this baby actually died by its own but I was given pills, cytotec to pass it, can cytotec cause damage to a woman's reproductive system?) this spring as well and a lot of bruises, I am also losing a lot of hair. I am so sad this has happened to us and don't want it to happen again and you helping me out with answers means a lot to me.
I very much appreciate you taking your time to reply to me.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

The cramping might have been the cervix slowly starting to dilate. But many women have cramping with nothing wrong.

All the blood questions would require a consultation with an RE for recurrent pregnancy loss and testing for clotting and hereditary thrombophilias and other issues that can be associated with recurrent pregnancy loss.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
mirakel

Post by mirakel »

Problem for us is that in my country we have to have three proven losses and not have successful pregnancies before. We can travel to Greece and get treatment but it is very costly hence I am trying to figure out a way to get a non RE take tests, maybe they can find whats generally wrong so we can be able to conceive.
Would it be possible for you to write a list of what tests that are needed?

I also forgot to mention they did a lot of tests at the emergency a month ago and found white bloodcells in my urine, is that something that could be a hint for something being wrong?

Also I made my dr test for progesterone the days I miscarried and it was 12, could it be my progesterone was too low? Is that an explanation?

Also, is what happened to my pregnancy something that could of been one event or is it usually recurrent once it started to happen?
I mean, is it possible that this happened to us only that pregnancy or is there a risk of it happening again?
Because it is so strange the fetus was alive when the body started rejecting it. Like first the vagina cramps then the bleeding and then the uterus contracting to expel the fetus. Is it when it comes to a miscarriage that the body starts process of getting rid of the fetus days before it happening and while the fetus is alive and developing accordlingly?
Is it possible it was chromoson fault with the fetus? Shouldnt the baby first have died then and then the body expel it? Does it have to be something wrong with me for this to happen? I just find it so weird that the fetus had a heartbeat and everything measured perfect and my body expels it like that. I dont understand. What tests would you recommend? Please help us, we are desperate.
I also have a history of autoimmune disorders such as my immune system attacked my hair at the age of five resulting in me losing almost all my hair (alopecia) and then hashimotos hypothyroidism.
But I did carry two children successfully, one in 2004 and one in 2010. Never had a miscarriage until the last year.
Thank you so very much for your prompt replies.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

It's very difficult to deal with this on line.

The tests for abnormal blood clotting would include a prothrombin time, partial thromboplastin time. The tests for hereditary thrombophilia would include Factor V Leyden, MTHFR, Proteins C and S, beta-2 glycoprotein, anticardiolipin, Lupus anticoagulant, and some others.

Sometimes the body will expel an abnormal fetus before it dies.

I'm afraid that there is not much more I can offer here. These blood abnormalities are very rare so in your situation it might be best to try another pregnancy and if it does not succeed you will quality for the proper testing.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.