Bleeding after IUI

mommyhopeful

Bleeding after IUI

Post by mommyhopeful »

On Monday morning I got a positive with an ovulation predictor kit. This positive came on the 24th day of my cycle. I am not on Clomid or any other fertility drug. I had intercourse on Sunday night. Tuesday morning I had IUI. And then intercourse again on Wednesday. On Friday I started bleeding. It's not heavy and it's not light spotting either - and I wouldn't even say that it's a complete flow. My RE believes that I have started my period because I ovulated late. Ovualting late is normal for me. And I have never ever started my period so soon after ovulating. My question is...could the bleeding be a result of the IUI or should I just accept that I have started a period. I have no other symptoms of being on my period like I normally do (e.g. breast tenderness or heavy 1st day flow). I had an HSG test done earlier, and two days after the test I bled for 5 days. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Bleeding after IUI

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

From here it's impossible to say but from what you write it sounds like bleeding from the IUI which can happen. A progesterone level might be helpful to see where you are in your cycle. If it's high then this is probably not your period. If it's very low either you misjudged your ovulation or did not ovulate.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California