Low progsterone

cb4m

Low progsterone

Post by cb4m »

Hi Dr. Wisot,

I have a 14-month-old and am trying to conceive my second child at age 41.5. During my first pregnancy I had issues with low progesterone and supplemented. This month I saw Drs. Rosen and Huang to see how I was ovulating. I ovulated late (day 18). My estrogen and prolactin levels measured normal (I still BF 2x/day) but my progesterone was low - 8.1. I have scheduled a reconsulation with Dr. Rosen but that's not until end of the month and I am just really eager to understand why I have low progsterone and what can be done about it. Is age a factor? Is breastfeeding? I know Dr. Rosen will go over all this in detail but I want just an inkling of understanding and I am a little stressed out while I wait 2 weeks...thanks for any insight you can give.

Amy
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Low progsterone

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi Amy:

I have no idea what caused your low progesterone the first time but this time it could be related to the fact that you are still breast feeding. Since I do not have the details for your entire history I could not guess what Dr. Rosen will be recommending but it is a problem that we can usually deal with, if all other factors are normal.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California