Soy Isoflavones

andr7

Soy Isoflavones

Post by andr7 »

I was able to conceive a couple months ago using Clomid (150) and IUI. Unfortunately, it ended in an early miscarriage. We tried Clomid the next cycle and I had horrible visual side effects and was told I could no longer use it. They want me to move onto injectibles which are just an extremely expensive option. I am wondering if there is something else I can try before spending that kind of money (especially as there is no guarantee of it working)?
In researching, I've read that soy isoflavones work similar to Clomid. I know these are over the counter. Is it possible that my RE would allow me to try these and still monitor my cycle and perform an IUI? What are your thoughts on soy isoflavones?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Soy Isoflavones

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Those are weak estrogens so they do not function like Clomid. Unfortunately there is nothing between Clomid and injectables except Letrozole which is used in ovulation induction in breast cancer patients. But i would be concerned using it in someone who has had visual problems with Clomid and it also has been suspected in some birth defects.

Perhaps a low dose of the injectables can work at a lower cost or if cost is a prohibitive issue for you ask your doctor to get some samples from one of the drug companies on a compassionate basis. Sometimes they will do that.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California