semen production

darryl123us

semen production

Post by darryl123us »

i took a home fertility score sperm test last year the one that tests for motility and my results came back positive but i was curious as to what this means as it only tests for motility not count, if i have a positive test for good motility would that mean i have a healthy count aswell? also i only produce around 2 ml to 2.5 ml of semen when i ejaculate is this normal? i think i just need some reasurrence as im trying to start a family and have doubts, any help would be appreciated
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: semen production

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

The information on the home test is very limited and tells you nothing about the count or morphology (shape) and is just a very general evaluation of the motility at one point in time. It's not much better than using a "fog the mirror" test to assess your general health. :lol:

Two cc's of semen is normal. If you are concerned go to a good reproductive lab and have your doc order a real semen analysis.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
darryl123us

Post by darryl123us »

thanks for the reply doc, but if the test tells you at least 20 million per ml of your sperm are motile then surely you would have a normal sperm count if the average count is 20 mill to 40 mill per ml according to wikipedia?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

That may be what they claim but it is nowhere near accurate enough to reach the conclusion that one is reasonably fertile which is, after all, what you really want to know.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California