Why would HCG rise but not double?

cb4m

Why would HCG rise but not double?

Post by cb4m »

Hi Dr. Wisot,

I got pregnant naturally between drug/IUI cycles at age 41. On day 27 of my cycle, I had a faint positive urine test so went in for a blood test. HCG was only 31. Two days later it was 48. Three days later it was 64. I have another blood test scheduled in 4 days. I know these numbers are not good as they are low to begin with and are not doubling. But why, from a scientific standpoint, are they rising at all if it's not a viable pregnancy? (I'm assuming not ectopic because numbers are so low?)

Would love any insight.

Thanks
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Why would HCG rise but not double?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

The numbers will continue to rise slowly like that in a pregnancy that's not destined to be successful until the cells producing the hCG get signals that the pregnancy is not developing properly. Then the levels will then start to drop. Also, even very low levels do not rule out the possibility of an ectopic. :cry:

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
cb4m

Post by cb4m »

Thanks Dr. Wisot. I just found out my levels are still rising but still too slowly (97 now). I am having an ultrasound and blood work in a few days. I understand it may be necessary to take a medication to end the pregnancy and that medication will prevent me from trying for several months. Are there no other ways to take care of it?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Sorry it's not going betterc.

There are alternatives and since your doctor kncws you best he/she can review them with you and help you pick what's best for you. At those levels it's unlikely they will see anything on ultrasound.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California