hydrosalpinx?

Karla

hydrosalpinx?

Post by Karla »

My recent HSG showed free flow into the peritoneal cavity, normal tube on the right, and a dilated tube on the left. My RE said it was a mild hydrosalpinx. Having read about the usual causes for a hydrosalpinx, I requested to be tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia. One test was urine test for both diseases, and the result was negative. The other test was blood test for chlamydia, also negative result.

My question is whether these two tests are definitive proof that I have not ever been infected with either one of those (both current and past infections)?

The other question I have is: if there was no infection, why is the left tube dilated then? I had no surgery of any kind (including abortions), nor am I aware of any inflammations in the past.

Thank you.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: hydrosalpinx?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

The chlamydia blood test is probably good evidence that you probably have never had chlamydia, but not necessarily gonorrhea. It does not mean that you had either because other infections like a low grade appendicitis that you may never have been aware of could cause damage to either tube. And sometimes we just never know what causes a dilated tube.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
Karla

Post by Karla »

Dr. Wisot,

Thank you.

The urine test for gonorrhea was negative. If this is not sufficient evidence, what other test could I do? Is there a blood test for it?

Thanks again.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I am not aware of a blood test for gonorrhea antibodies as there is for chlamydia so there is no test I am aware of that will detect past infection.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Karla

Post by Karla »

Dr. Wisot,

To follow up on my question earlier this summer (thank you for your response), I am confused that my HSG films are interpreted differently by two physicians. The RE who did the HSG test reported that "there is a free flow into the peritoneal cavity, normal tube on the right, and a dilated tube on the left. The hydrosalpinx is mild".
Another RE interpreted the films later as "There was evidence of right tubal patency and left distal occlusion without significant dilation. So there is no concern of a hydrosalpinx".

I understand the 1st report as saying that there is no blockage (since the fluid flows freely) however there is a mild hydrosalpinx, but the 2nd one says that the left tube is blocked - but no hydrosalpinx.

I would appreciate your opinion on the following questions:

Doesn't viewing those films make it immediately clear as to whether the tubes are open or not?

What would you suggest that I do in order to clarify the status of the tubes? Should laparoscopy be performed?

If the left tube were indeed blocked, would it be possible at all that I ovulate from that side? I was told a number of times that the corpus luteum is seen on the left side. If the corpus luteum was formed, then the egg must have been released into the tube, right?

Thank you.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

There can be differing interpretations of static pictures and sometimes it's not entirely clear. So the perspective of the RE who did the study might have had a better perspective. The only way to see what's really going on would be to do a laparoscopy.

A tube being blocked would not affect ovulating on that side.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.