Failed IVF due to poor egg maturation

hekena

Failed IVF due to poor egg maturation

Post by hekena »

Dear Dr.Wisot,

I had two failed IVF cycles. The first with SDFertility (Dr. Rakoff) and the second with Dr. Garzo at Reproductive Partners. The first cycle I had 24 eggs retrieved, and 6 were mature and 2 fertilized but did not develop well pass day 2. The second cycle, Dr. Garzo changed the protocol, all ultrasounds and hormone levels were great and I have 14 great looking follicles on the day of retrieval. However, again only 1 was mature and failed to fertilize, 2 were cultured in the lab to help with maturation but that also failed. After my follow up with Dr. Garzo and the embryologist, it was concluded that my eggs are of poor quality and for some reason cannot mature/divide normally. Dr. Garzo said that he has not seen this issue with someone my age (34yrs) before unless I was exposed to some toxins/harmful substance, etc. He suggested we consider egg donation which as you can imagine is devastating to me. My question for you is, do you have any experience with such cases of poor egg maturation or can you tell me if there' any information/literature about my situation that can help me to understand what is happening. Thanks in advance and I apologize for such a long email to ask two simple questions.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Failed IVF due to poor egg maturation

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

This is very unusual. But if there is an answer other than egg donation, our Scientific Director, Dr. Meldrum would have it. Ask if you can see him when he is at the La Jolla center or come up to Redondo for a consultation. It will be worth the time.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
hekena

Post by hekena »

Dear Dr. Wisot,
Thank you very much for your response. I'll definitely look into scheduling an appointment with Dr. Meldrum.

Best wishes.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Let us all know what he says.
hekena

Post by hekena »

Dear Dr. Wisot,
Thank you for your suggestion to consult with Dr. Meldrum. We met in January and although he did not offer an explanation for my situation, it was very informative. He agrees that egg donation is the next feasible strategy and that performing another IVF cycle with my own eggs will likely result in a similar outcome. He said that it is so much harder to find a solution when it's an egg issue. Most of my eggs were very poor, immature and contained large vacuoles, which again he suggested might be genetic. Just wanted to update you and thank you for your time in answering mint questions and also the others on this forum.
Best,
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

I hope all this will lead you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
hekena

Post by hekena »

Dear Dr. Wisot,
I've previously gotten advice from you in this forum after two failed IVF cycles due to poor egg quality. It has been more than a year and I think that we are slowly looking into the possibility of egg donation. Our reluctance has been the financial cost of using an egg donor. I've been waiting for your clinic to start offering cycles with a frozen egg bank, which I see you recently started. I did my previous cycle with Dr. Garzo in San Diego but it seems this option is only available at the moment with your Redondo Beach location. I really had a great experience with the guys in San Diego so I suspect that I would feel comfortable at any of your locations. My question to you is what is the status of this program since it seems to be new to your practice. What have been the general consensus on the success rate using the egg bank listed and your facility. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

We have started to do cycles with frozen eggs from Donor Egg Bank USA. Their stats show a 53%/transfer pregnancy rate with a 47%/transfer live birth rate.

Check out their website, select a donor and come up for a consultation to get the process started.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.