IUI+Injectibles vs IVF

Faith4Baby

IUI+Injectibles vs IVF

Post by Faith4Baby »

Dr. Wisot, I posed a question to you prior about being 40 and having had 2 failed IUI's with clomid only, and you expressed that at that use of clomid alone isn't very successful, especially being 42 years old. I responded very well in follicle production and maturation.

My husband and I have decided to become more aggressive. We have had a consultation, and after a good ultrasound and review of charts/tests, we were presented with the option of both Injectibles with IUI or IVF and what each entails..including costs at one of your offices. We are battling between the two. No issues with my tubes, ovaries or hormone levels or my husbands sperm or motility. We are also in excellent health, and healthy weights.

My gut tells me to try the Injectibles and IUI first, but also wonder if I shouldn't jump to IVF since I would be taking the same initial steps prior to either procedure. Any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: IUI+Injectibles vs IVF

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Your doctor is in the best position to help you make this decision as he/she knows you best.

With the facts as you present them, one cycle of injectables with IUI would be a decent option. But if that does not work I generally recommend moving on to IVF.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
Faith4Baby

Re: IUI+Injectibles vs IVF

Post by Faith4Baby »

Thank you for your response and time!

I guess I just wonder if I'm waisting time and money...doctor said either option is a good one, and its a decision we need to make, but did State my likelihood/chances/% are better with IVF due to my age!
Decisions, decisions!