dermoid cysts and pregnancy

40baby3#4

dermoid cysts and pregnancy

Post by 40baby3#4 »

I am almost 41 and have only one ovary left which has on it a dermoid cyst. My partner and I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year with no success so far. We are thinking about possible fertility options. My question is this: Is it possible to harvest any eggs that I may have left, freeze them, remove my last ovary (along with the cyst) and then implant the eggs after I have healed and have a successful pregnancy as long as the egg attaches like it's supposed to?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: dermoid cysts and pregnancy

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Yes, that's possible. But may not be the best option as there is not a lot of information on success with freezing eggs above 38.

If you were going to follow that sort of plan, then fertilizing the eggs and freezing embryos would be better. A lot depends on the urgency of removal of the dermoid and only your doctor who knows you can determine that. A fresh transfer would be better but surgery might reduce your egg population and the delay after surgery at age 41 would not be ideal. So freezing embryos followed by dermoid/ovary removal and frozen embryo transfer might make the most sense.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California