Low Motility - IUI v. IVF

Jackie

Low Motility - IUI v. IVF

Post by Jackie »

My husband and I just did one round of IUI and it was unsuccessful. I am going back and forth on how long we should continue to do IUI or move onto IVF. My husband's semen results are: Total Count: 195 Million; Motility: 7% rapid, 4% slow, 5% non progressive, and 84% immotile; morphology: 14% normal. I had my hormone test done and everthing came out normal except for my progesterone being a little low. Prior to IUI, my doctor put me on clomid, and I produced 6 perfect follicles for IUI and the procedure was still unsucessful. What do you think our best option would be?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Low Motility - IUI v. IVF

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

A lot depends on your age and how much of a hurry you are in. With the high count and very low motility, IUI can be a reasonable option but not likely to work. If the morphology of 10% is standard morphology, then you probably really need IVF with ICSI. If the morphology number is strict morphology then IUI is more of a reasonable option unless you are in a hurry. And who isn't? :lol:

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
Jackie

Post by Jackie »

I am 26, and it's on the standard being 10% morphology. Do you think I should do a couple more rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF? We are in somewhat of a hurry, but are also still fairly young.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

At 26 a few cycles of IUI will either result in a pregnancy or make it clear that you will need IVF which you can still do at a very favorable age.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Jackie

Post by Jackie »

My husband and I have been discussing it, and we are considering waiting a year and a half to move on to IVF for financial reasons. Do you think waiting until 28 would cause the success rate for IVF to be lower?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

No one can predict what can happen to anyone's egg quality over a period of time but at your age it's not common to see a significant decline in a year.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.