Hcg levels in pregnancy

maw79

Hcg levels in pregnancy

Post by maw79 »

I had a miscarriage on May 5th (conceived through gonal-f and iui) and found out I'm pregnant again less than a month later. I took a home pregnancy test last Friday because I thought I should check that my levels were zero. Well it came back very very faint positive and I had my blood drawn and hcg was 11. Doctor assumed it was from miscarriage. Did another blood draw 2.5 days later and it was 59 (doubled in 27 hours). Then did another today and it was 125 (doubled in 43 hours). I was told that the pregnancy doesn't look good and might be ectopic. My confusion is that I thought levels were supposed to double within 48 hours so I would think this was normal. I realize my levels are still low and it's early, but I have no idea when I ovulated or conceived. I'm very discouraged again, as this would be my third miscarriage in 6 months.
I have two living children and then two back to back miscarriages. My question is, do these numbers seem poor? What are the normal beta hcg doubling rules?
Thanks in advance!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Hcg levels in pregnancy

Post by Dr. Wisot »

HI:

It sounds like normal doubling to me and it's too early to really draw conclusions. An ultrasound a week after the 125 should show a gestational sac in the uterus if all is well. Another doubling in 48 hours would be reassuring.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
maw79

Post by maw79 »

Wanted to come back and update that I'm now 21 weeks pregnant with this same pregnancy I posted in my original question above. Thought it might be helpful to anyone going through a series of beta draws that might read this post. So far all is well with the baby and the pregnancy, we couldn't be more thrilled!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

So glad to hear that it's going well.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California