Is it too soon to see an RE?

babybug

Is it too soon to see an RE?

Post by babybug »

We have been ttc for about 10 months now. I have recently had an appointment with my regular obgyn and brought up the fact that we are ttc and nothing is happening. I don't have a history of any issues and have somewhat regular cycles (sometimes few days difference here/there) and know we have good timing during the fertility window. My obgyn was very dismissive and said to try for another year before he will run any tests and in a year to come back to him to try some conservative treatments. I do not think I can wait that long - it is constantly on my mind and I am getting very frustrated. Everywhere I read, it states that infertility is diagnosed after a year and he is basically telling me to wait two years before any intervention. He did not give me a referral to an RE. Can I go see an RE now without a referral, or should I give it longer to try on our own? I am afraid now to go to anyone else, if they will be as dismissive as my doctor and laugh me out of the office. My husband does not want to go see anyone this soon either, so if we go to an RE appointment together and they tell us to wait - my husband will use it against me and will tell me to be patient for an endless amount of time. Is 10 months too soon to start panicking? Are REs generally more understanding of ttc issues than regular obgyns? I don't want to wait any longer on its own, want to get help. I know it has not been that long in big picture, but it has been the longest 10 months to me.
Thank you.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Is it too soon to see an RE?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

You have been trying for over 6 months, are frustrated, your OB/GYN is dismissive: all good reasons for seeing an RE. I would be very surprised if any RE would not take you seriously.

Whether you need a referral is just an insurance issue, probably not unless you are in an HMO that covers infertility and requires a prior authorization.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
babybug

Post by babybug »

Thank you. Insurance does not require a referral, so I will make an appointment. If all fertility tests come back clear, and we end up in the "unexplained" category, what would most likely be suggested to us? Could a doctor recommend "expectant management" or will we be offered treatments? I am afraid what if we are just told to wait. I don't think I have enough patience for that.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

If everything turn out normal, your doctor could recommend some treatments designed to maximize your chances of conceiving.

Let the RE know of your concerns so he/she can address them.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California