donor sperm mix with husband sperm???

mackamacka

donor sperm mix with husband sperm???

Post by mackamacka »

My husband had a ve reversal (done badly)on only one side, the other couldn't be attached at all. He has very low sperm count and apparently high antibodies. We're talking donor sperm. I'd like to mix my husband's sperm with the donor sperm to perhaps give a slight chance that the sperm to reach my egg will be my husband's (wishful thinking but psychologically helpful). My husband thinks perhaps doing such could destroy the donor sperm because of the antibodies. What do you think?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: donor sperm mix with husband sperm???

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Your husband may be right. Although the sperm are washed for an IUI, some antibodies may make it through and affect the effectiveness of the donor sperm. You could try it a few times and if you do not conceive, then use just donor.

But a better strategy would be IVF with ICSI using his sperm if he is ejaculating even just a few viable sperm. If not, they could get sperm by PESA or TESE.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
mackamacka

Post by mackamacka »

Thanks for getting back to us.
We won't have iui or ivf but ai at home.
Also, do you know if it is common for ovulation to take longer than usual after miscarriage?
Thank you!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

It can because the process does not start until after the pregnancy hormone is all gone and that can take awhile.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
mackamacka

Post by mackamacka »

Yea, I figured as much that's why I repeated pregnancy tests to make sure there wasn't any hCG. I'll keep taking my ovulation tests and hoping for the best. I ovulate like clockwork on day 14, get my period every 28 days. I started spotting on the 7th, bled a bit on the 8th (went to the hospital and found my hCG lowered to 551 and prepared for the worst. The 9th started my miscarriage. So depressing.
Thank you for your quick replies, they are most appreciated.